-->

Children learn through play. As an occupational therapist who works with children and youth, I use games and toys almost every day to help develop important cognitive, visual perceptual, motor, sensory, social, play and leisure skills. While many different types of activities can be used in therapy, this blog focuses on off-the-shelf games and toys that are accessible to most. Whether you are a therapist, parent, teacher, or a game lover like me, I hope you discover something useful while you are here. Learn a different way to play a game you already own or discover a new game for your next family game night. Either way, just go play. It's good for you!

The OT Magazine named The Playful Otter one of the Top 5 Pediatric OT Blogs.


Tuesday, March 31, 2015

What's My Mood? App



Work on reading facial expressions.

A great idea that didn't translate to a great app. The reason I say that is because too many of the faces can be interpreted in more than one way, and I feel like I am setting my kids up for failure. A bit of context or a few words spoken would help tremendously. The app is played in a game format. You have two minutes to make as many points as you can. You get 50 points for a correct match and, although you are allowed to try over and over, you lose 10 points each time you make an incorrect match. The voices are robotic. Moods are angry, bored, confused, happy, sad, scared, surprised, tired.


For more information, click on the image below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.