-->

Children learn through play. As an occupational therapist who works with children and youth, I use games and toys almost every day to help develop important cognitive, visual perceptual, motor, sensory, social, play and leisure skills. While many different types of activities can be used in therapy, this blog focuses on off-the-shelf games and toys that are accessible to most. Whether you are a therapist, parent, teacher, or a game lover like me, I hope you discover something useful while you are here. Learn a different way to play a game you already own or discover a new game for your next family game night. Either way, just go play. It's good for you!

The OT Magazine named The Playful Otter one of the Top 5 Pediatric OT Blogs.


Oct 9, 2016

Card Holder

Gamewright Card Holder

I just used this Card Holder in therapy for the first time today and couldn't wait to blog about it. The holder says "Little Hands" on it, and that sounded to me like it might be for kids. But it could be used for kids or adults. The young lady that used it today was a teenager and was very pleased with it.

The most important things to consider for a card holder is that cards can slip in without any trouble, cards stay in place, and that when you take a card out, the other cards around it don't come out with it. This card holder delivers on all accounts. We played UNO today and the card holder held five to seven cards very comfortably. I put 12 cards in it to see if the cards could still be pulled out one at a time without bringing others with it, and they could. 



Adult holding card holder with 12 UNO Frozen cards.

It is an awesome tool for someone who cannot fan cards and hold them in place while playing a game. The holder is made of smooth plastic and the blue over the handle is a smooth covering, not exactly rubber, but less smooth than the holder itself, for a better grip.

Left - Size in relation to an adult hand. Middle - Front of holder. Right - Back of holder.

One thing I do not know about at this time is how long it will continue to hold cards perfectly. After much use it is bound to get a little sloppy. I will update if and when that happens. Happy playing!

UPDATE: My original holders are holding up well, but I recently saw a couple holders where the two pieces of plastic had permanently separated a little at the top. It looked like the cards wouldn't be able to stay inside the holder. So I took the opportunity to add a few cards and good news, it didn't matter that they had separated. The cards still fit snug into the bottom and pulled out normally. This has been a great tool for me and I expect to continue to use them indefinitely. 
 
2nd UPDATE: I left the holders in the garage over the summer (Arizona heat) and when I went to use them the next time the blue handles were sticky. An icky sticky. I tried a couple things to change it back, but no luck. Had to throw them out. Avoid my mistake for a longer life. 

If you would like to purchase this item or just for more information, click the image below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.