Work on visual discrimination, figure ground, manual dexterity, social interaction, web space, using two hands, play exploration and participation, team work, concentration
In the box: Game board, 4 movers with bases, 1 spinner, 1 ferry tile, 10 magnifying glass tokens, 6 food tiles, 30 goldbug cards, 1 sand timer
Ages 3+, 2-4 players. Choking hazard, small parts.
The object of the game is for the players, working as a team, to get to Picnic Island before the pigs eat all the food. Race around town solving mysteries on the six foot long game board. As you make your way to the ferry that will take your team to Picnic Island, you will find hidden objects all over town and the surrounding farm, airport, and harbor. Items on cards are things such as traffic lights, fire hydrants, anchors, flower pots, bicycles, and shovels. The spinner is on heavy card stock and well constructed. It will dictate your moves and the actions you will take. Options on the spinner are:
- Move 1, Move 2, Move 3, Move 4 - Advance your token that many spaces
- Pigs eat - Take away one food item from Picnic Island and spin again
- Goldbug mystery - Turn over one of the picture cards and start the timer. All player scan the board for that picture. As players find them, they lay a magnifying glass on each one. When the timer runs out, count all the magnifying glasses. Everyone moves forward that many steps.
- Use just the goldbug cards with one player to play a search and find game. Eliminate the timer, spinner, and moving along the board.
- Eliminate the timer, look until you feel you have found them all.
- Use 10 cards and 10 magnifying glasses without playing the game. Find a different item for each magnifying glass.
- Hold the spinner in one hand and use the other hand to spin.
- Set the spinner on the table top. Try flicking the arrow with different fingers.