-->

Children learn through play. As an occupational therapist who works with children and youth, I use games and toys almost every day to help develop important cognitive, visual perceptual, motor, sensory, social, play and leisure skills. While many different types of activities can be used in therapy, this blog focuses on off-the-shelf games and toys that are accessible to most. Whether you are a therapist, parent, teacher, or a game lover like me, I hope you discover something useful while you are here. Learn a different way to play a game you already own or discover a new game for your next family game night. Either way, just go play. It's good for you!

The OT Magazine named The Playful Otter one of the Top 5 Pediatric OT Blogs.


Aug 26, 2018

I Can Tie My Shoes

Shoe tying, lacing cards.
Work on tying shoes, visual discrimination, spatial relations, sequencing steps, executive functioning, process skills, dressing skills, manual dexterity, fine motor precision

In the box: 6 shoes, 6 laces

This is not something that I would have bought for myself. Someone gave this to me and I have used them twice I think. When I work on shoe tying I always start off with the Red Lace, Yellow Lace book, then follow up with real shoes. This system has worked for me for years, including teaching many older kids who had given up long ago trying to learn. And if it ain't broke...

There are six cardboard shoes in this box. The shoes in my box are brightly colored, have a glossy finish and are the same shape as the shoes in the image above. However, the shoes in the image above more resemble real shoes in their design. 

My shoe designs.
 The box looks the same as my box, except for the shoe design, so I'm sure it is the same product. There are six laces included, each a different color. My laces measure 38" and the laces in this newer version are 36". The lace tips are nice and long - 1.5". The shoes measure 7" x 4.25" at the widest part and are 1/16" thick. The shoes should stand up to use, but not abuse. They are easy enough to bend and crack if you are rough with them. The shoes are lightweight and tend to lift off the table and turn on you as you are working on tying. I just prefer the real thing. If you don't know if someone you are working with will be wearing tie shoes when you see them, go to Walmart of a thrift store and pick up a nice pair of clean, sturdy shoes to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.