-->

Children learn through play. As an occupational therapist who works with children and youth, I use games and toys almost every day to help develop important cognitive, visual perceptual, motor, sensory, social, play and leisure skills. While many different types of activities can be used in therapy, this blog focuses on off-the-shelf games and toys that are accessible to most. Whether you are a therapist, parent, teacher, or a game lover like me, I hope you discover something useful while you are here. Learn a different way to play a game you already own or discover a new game for your next family game night. Either way, just go play. It's good for you!

The OT Magazine named The Playful Otter one of the Top 5 Pediatric OT Blogs.


Aug 26, 2018

LEGO Classic Bricks & Gears

LEGO small models with gears to add movement.

In the box: 244 pieces, instruction manual for 5 models

I know, I know, you're probably thinking "Not another LEGO post!" If you follow me at all, you know my love for LEGOs and the small sets that can be used in therapy. I am adding this one because it has something new and different than I've seen before in these small model sets - each model in this set has a gear mechanism that makes something on the model move. Turn the knob and the monkey swings in the tree, the owl's eyes twirl, and the helicopter blades whirl. There is an instruction book included that covers the five models in the image above. The number of pieces for each model is monkey in tree-30, helicopter-34, flowers-32, carousal-38, and owl-34. The book also shows five additional models that you can get step-by-step instructions for online. 

Picture from back of box showing 4 of the 5 additional models found online.

Work from 2D instructions to build a 3D model. These small models are perfect for a therapy session and the kids have loved the moving parts. I find that LEGO products go on sale a lot on Amazon. This set with instructions for 10 models (5 in the book, 5 online) cost me $16.

Page from instruction book.
If you would like additional information about how I use LEGO sets in therapy, please follow up on one of my past posts. Thank you.

Building Skills with Construction Toys
Lego Build Up 40253 
LEGO 3-in-1 Classic Blue Creativity Box 
LEGO Classic Creative Supplement
LEGO Thanksgiving Turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.