-->

Children learn through play. As an occupational therapist who works with children and youth, I use games and toys almost every day to help develop important cognitive, visual perceptual, motor, sensory, social, play and leisure skills. While many different types of activities can be used in therapy, this blog focuses on off-the-shelf games and toys that are accessible to most. Whether you are a therapist, parent, teacher, or a game lover like me, I hope you discover something useful while you are here. Learn a different way to play a game you already own or discover a new game for your next family game night. Either way, just go play. It's good for you!

The OT Magazine named The Playful Otter one of the Top 5 Pediatric OT Blogs.


Mar 10, 2019

I SPY Games

 
I SPY makes figure ground fun.

The I SPY products (by Scholastic) include a variety of unique seek-and-find games and books, each a different figure ground playground. And, depending on the particular item, you are often also able to work on visual closure, visual form constancy, visual memory and/or visual discrimination. I have used them for many years in the therapy setting. Check out these I SPY products:

I SPY Spectacular - Fun 3-tier spinner and two ways to play - competitive and cooperative.

I SPY BINGO - BINGO cards with I SPY's classic figure ground objects. Several ways to play and two levels of difficulty.

I SPY 3D - This one comes with 3D glasses. It makes my eyes feel fuzzy. But who knows, you may love it.

I SPY Dig In! - 128 small items to match to pattern cards. My favorite by far.

I SPY Eagle Eye Jr. -  6 ways to play plus comes with it's own bell.

I SPY Find It Fast - Nine dice, 40 cards, be quick to match.

I SPY Go Fish Card Game - 4 games in 1, features visual form constancy.

I SPY Holiday Wishes - A Christmas-themed, non-traditional match game.

I SPY In Common  - What do all these things have in common? Find as many commonalities as you can before the timer tuns out (3 minutes).

I SPY Private Eye - 30 cards, 9 dice with unique shaker

I SPY Quest - A visual form constancy memory game.

I SPY Ready Set Silhouette -  Match each I SPY card to its black silhouette.

I SPY Treasure Hunt - An I SPY memory game with a magnetic shovel.

I SPY Super Challenger -  4 games in 1, items are not exact matches (visual form constancy)


STILL TO COME:

I SPY Snap Card Game

I SPY Ready to Count Game

I SPY Preschool Game

I SPY Alphabet Aquarium




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.